Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Thanksgiving #1

Being an ignorant American, I never knew that Canada celebrates Thanksgiving or that the Thanksgiving they celebrate takes place in October rather than November! I was very surprised to learn this when I met Phil. He really wanted me to be there for Thanksgiving weekend, but as it was only a couple weeks after the wedding I knew my employers wouldn't be keen on me taking another travel weekend. However, we got a big and happy surprise when my employers had guests in from out of town and suggested that I take a trip up to Canada so the house wouldn't be too crowded...Don't need to ask me twice!!! So off I went to Canada for my first Canadian Thanksgiving with my new family! Phil picked me up at the bus station Saturday morning and it was off to get the girls and drive up to Grandma's trailer in Kingston where they have a Thanksgiving dinner. On our way there we past The Big Apple...everytime we drive past it I say to Phil "someday we need to stop there cause I want a picture with that giant apple!" So this time we decided it was picture day!





After the Big Apple pit stop it was back to the road and off to Kingston...with candy apples, of course!



But when we arrived we found out that the Thanksgiving dinner had been changed from Saturday to Sunday...bummer :( My bus had to leave Sunday night so we weren't able to stay for it. But we did stay the night and had fun camping and hanging out! The girls loved jumping in the leaves and I got to finally meet Phil's step-dad, Rob!



Leaf Jumping!


Kung Fu Alishea!


One of my favorite moments of the weekend was Sunday morning when Phil and I went down to the dock where we got engaged and sat together looking at the beautiful fall morning, sipping hot chocolate and had our morning prayer together. That spot already has so many wonderful memories for me and I know that there will probably be years more to come!



Sunday afternoon Phil and I made our way back home. We watched a movie and had Sunday dinner together before it was time to pack me up and head back to the bus station *sniff sniff* It was a super short visit, but I'm grateful for it all the same! I'll be heading back up for another visit next week and I can't wait!

1 comment:

  1. So glad you had Thanksgiving as a family. It's incredibly beautiful there. I can't believe all those leaves! Reminds me of jumping in leaves when you lost your shoe. :) And I must say I've never seen an apple so good. Think I'll need to go buy a caramel apple tonight now. Yum!

    ReplyDelete